Cleveland Museum of Art Renovation by Rafael Viñoly Architects
Cleveland Museum of Art • Cleveland, Ohio • Rafael Viñoly Architects
Originally built in 1916 by local architects Hubbell and Benes as a Greek revival pavilion that sat at the head of a pastoral park and lagoon, and with many other subsequent additions through the years including a wing by Marcel Breuer; the original rational plan of the structure was obscured causing disjoined and confusing spaces. In 2001, Rafael Viñoly Architects won the commission to resolve these conditions with an expansion and renovation. The plan restores focus to the original 1916 building, renovating the Breuer building, and demolishing the other additions. New gallery wings to the east and west enclose the piazza and taper up toward the 1916 building, where they culminate in fully transparent, glazed galleries and pedestrian bridges. The new gallery wings’ exterior stone cladding alternates bands of granite with bands of marble that modulate the two different aesthetics of the 1916 and Breuer buildings.