The Ohio State University William Oxley Thompson Memorial Library by Gund Partnership & Acock Associates Architects Photographed by Brad Feinknopf based in Columbus, Ohio
William Oxley Thompson Memorial Library • The Ohio State University • Columbus, Ohio • Gund Partnership & Acock Associates Architects
Originally built in 1913 as the Beaux Arts building, the William Oxley Thompson Memorial Library at The Ohio State University (OSU) occupies a prominent location within the university’s historic Oval – the most significant campus green space – conveying the significance of the library in the mainstream of campus life. With the ever-changing nature of campus life, and the huge advances of technology of the past several years there was a complete overhaul of the Thompson Library. This included 215,000-sq.ft. renovation and an additional new 91,000-sq.ft. of space. One of the most prominent renovations that took place was taking the existing skin of the book tower and replacing it with class to reveal seven stories of books within a new sky-lit atrium.